TITLE: Database developer
POSITION REPORTS TO: Principal Investigator
JOB NUMBER: 2014SS02
If interested, please send a CV, cover letter, and contact information for three references to CareersMolOnc [at] bccrc [dot] ca, and quote job number 2014SS02 in the subject line.
We have an immediate need for a motivated database developer to support data management of big, high dimensional and complex cancer genomics datasets. Focused on next-generation sequencing datasets, the individual will continue the development of robust database solution that has needs for efficient storage and retrieval of human-genome level data from tumour samples. The database developer will interface with a team of software developers, bioinformaticians and principal investigators to ensure enterprise level integrity of genomic data. The position will involve facilitating tight integration of genomic and clinical databases from breast and ovarian cancer research groups. Solutions will be deployed broadly in the BC Cancer Agency.
The individual will work independently and reports to the Principal Investigator in Molecular Oncology or designate, and in conjunction with investigators within the BCCA, UBC and internationally. The individual should exercise professional judgment in the overall data capturing and analysis. He/she will also be accountable for maintenance of data quality that will have significant research progress implications.
Specific responsibilities/tasks include the following:
- Providing expertise in the planning, development and application of database solutions housing genomic data
- Expanding and making modifications to the current database architecture (relational schemas, views, integrity constraints and indexing) as needed (e.g., reducing query times)
- Extend current database API– BioMart & cBioPortal
- Participate in code reviews
- Must have excellent communication skills and fully fluent spoken and written English
- Minimum BSc degree in computer science or equivalent certified database administrator training
- 3yrs experience (or combination of experience and education) designing, developing or administrating database systems
- 3yrs experience (or combination of experience and education) working in Linux with open database systems such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, HBase, Casandra, MongoDB, CouchDB, Elastic Search
- Strong programming skills in at least 2 of: Java, Python, C/C++, Scala
- Currently exercises best practices in software development
- Familiarity with bioinformatics resources, i.e. human genome databases such as Ensembl, UCSC genome browser, NCBI. Experience with bioinformatics tools such as Bioconductor, BioPerl/BioJava, BLAST considered an asset
- Any relevant experience working with human genome sequencing or any next generation sequencing data considered an asset
- Recent graduates with strong programming skills and related experience are welcome to apply